Wednesday, May 14, 2014

DVD Movie Review #121 Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves


Hello all and welcome back to the next in my series of DVD movie reviews. This time I am reviewing the third movie in the Honey, We shrunk or blew up something franchise...and no I'm not talking about mythbusters. This time we are going with Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves. This movie is the only one in the series that I didn't see. My girlfriend wanted to watch dance moms and well I needed something short to fill the time so I went here.

This movie follows along with our hero now the president of his own invention company. He is working with his brother now and is on the ropes with his wife and neglected children. He absent minded promised his wife that he would watch the kids with his brother while his wife and his sister in law went on vacation. I don't know why they didn't want to take the kids or all go together but what can you do the story needs a hook. Unfortunately the parents end up shrinking themselves and have to endure tiny hardships in order to try and get things together necessary to grow back to normal size once again. Can the kids be trusted?

Well this film isn't too bad as it does have the neat effect of the shark car roller coaster ride. It is also fun to see Rick Moranis in action as I really enjoyed his acting and am saddened with his disappearance from the movie scene. The music is appropriate for the movie and the effects are pretty decent for what you are getting.

This movie was a sad squeezing out of the franchise so that they could milk it for all its worth. This really doesn't have the umph of the first two movies and this makes it a tad sad. The acting was fairly wooden and I feel that Rick Moranis was phoning it in. The effects were good enough but not really up to snuff this time around with obvious low quality CG effects thrown in (of course they were pretty good back then). In the end this just felt like a forced attempt.

A kind of disappointing end to the series but if you haven't seen it I'm sure its worth at least one watch.

Rating: 6/10

I got the standard DVD release



Used:     $3.99   Half.com

New:     $5.11   Amazon UK

1 comment:

  1. I actually loved this movie. The first one will always be my favorite of the franchise, but this one comes second.

    ReplyDelete